Monday, 14 May 2007

How we came about

This is a bit of a long story, but I'll will try to give you the short version. DJ Wills knocked on my door one day cos he heard that I had turntables and a mixer. Out of the blue he says "Let's be DJ's". He took me to Octagon matinee *sigh*. Aaah the good old days. We hung around the DJ booth making a nuisance of ourselves to the resident DJ - Mark. This was around '94-'95. We eventually forced our way in and played the odd tune when he went on his toilet break. Mark had previously run a mobile disco with David and Cedric Greaves. Anyway we pursuided him to start up again. The 3 of us. And so we did. We all moved to Club Zoom in 1996 as well and became the resident DJ's when the club moved from Indian to Coloured dominated clubbers. It was a long run, with me lasting the longest. I stuck it out til 2001 when I left for England. That was when DJ's Alleyne and Paul (aka Dubble Trubble) took over the residency. Since we formed a mobile outfit we have played for hundreds of weddings and many other functions like 21sts, 50ths, corporate gigs, balls, dances, matric parties, launches, house parties ... infact - if you pay us –we'll even do a funeral for you. We have traveled as far as Jhb, Umtata and pretty soon Richards Bay to do our thing. Our very first function as FreekForce Mobile Disco was the wedding of Lauren Kelly and Clinton Bonhomme. In 1998 I played for Brent Fynn's wedding. I don't remember that, but he says I'm in the photographs. Anyway, Brent married Mark's wife's sister. So they were kinda like Broer-in-laws. Eventually Brent joined the team as well. And DJ wills dwindled away into obscurity. So now it's the 3 of us. That's a bit of background for you. More info to follow.

No comments: